Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Valle Daosta, Cogne and Alta Via 4

David and I lost no time to leave Torino following my arrival from Croatia. We went directly to Aosta, direction Cogne for some hiking\climbing. The first day we decided to take it easy and go climb in Lillaz by the waterfalls. Turned out to be a very pleasant crag with really easy routes! It was quite different than our previous climbs in Val dOrco where it was mostly Slab or Crack climbing. This crag was one or two pitches long with nice jugs all the way up :)) (aka always nice big holds for the hands!). It ended up being rainy and sunny and rainy and sunny and...
While on rappel, David was singing "Rain drops are falling on my head...but that doesnt mean my eyes will soon be turning red... Crying is not for me..."
That evening we slept in a parking lot - which we thought was free. What a surprise the next morning when as soon as we open the door to Lucy, this man standing outside says "10 euros please". Sigh. We apparently drove into the parking lot through the exit, thus missing the sign, at the entrance, saying it cost 10 euroes per camper for the night. hehe... Cant believe we paid money to sleep in a parking lot without even being able to shower!!!!!

The following day, David and I went totally crazy. We decided we wanted to do some hiking around Gran Paradiso (a 4100m ish peak), included in one of the hiking books we brought from Canada. (Beginning of our hike, in Cogne, below) David and I decided we would buy new boots. David because his boots are way too old, offer no support, and are pretty much broken. Me, david insisted, because my boots are no longer waterproof and a stiffer pair would do better on possible glacier routes we might do.

We prepared and the next day, off we go on our hike. Of course we know we are doing the famous rooky mistake by wearing, without breaking them in, new boots for the first time on a long hike! The first day was pretty short, about 3h30minutes of hiking. Mostly uphill, from Cogne to the Riffugo Sella. At which point we were about at 2600m. The italian rifugos offer 1\2 pension, which means that dinner and breakfast are included in the price. We were thus served pasta, deer and sausage, and dessert for dinner! :)) Turns out that my feet are somewhat in pain, with mostly sore ankles... David seems fine. Does he ever complain?? :))
Early start the next morning, as we have a reaaaaaaaally long day ahead of us, to hike towards Rifugo Chabod.We were told from 8-10 hours of hiking (maybe a distance of about 12-15km). Including 2km of altitude gain and loss, 2 cols to pass and one reaaallly long descent. Early in the morning, we could see a man and a dog slowly catching up to us, and just before the col, I had to step aside to let the doggy pass. It was pretty hilarious :)) (cant see very well, but the dog is trailling behind me in the picture...) The man was a park ranger, he was intense, never ever stopped for a break! (Picture below at the first Col, the ranger nicely agreed to take a picture for us :))
The last col included some scrambling while hanging on to chains and a short Via Ferrata. The col being over 3000m, and being slightly exhausted, I was having a tough time! David was amazingly strong all day, constantly encouraging me, and waiting for me to catch up on the uphill :) I have to admit, I felt rather out of shape most of the way. In addition, my feet were hurting (who knows whether its the boots, or my socks, or just my feet that suck. David ended up taping my ankles, and taping my socks to my calfs in hopes that the rubbing would stop!). Nevertheless, it was such an exciting day, with awesome views. We were happy.
(I am in that picture, look for the black dot...far far away haha)

We were supposed to continue on the hike the following day, with a quick stop in Pont to gather up a bit more food and some new socks for me. By mistake, we ended up hiking to another rifugo (Vittore Emanuelle) and then having to take another path down to Pont. My stupid feet decided not to cooperate, and I was in so much pain all the way down to Pont that we had to call it a day... Sigh. I was disappointed.
Some random pictures...
The MGB in action! Lo Stambecco (Ibex) This one is quite old, obviously!
David enjoying the flowers...
The french have the funniest fashions....
Today, we are giving my feet a rest. I will have to test out the new boots again... and perhaps compare with my old boots. Neither David nor I had ever done such a sustained hike before, so perhaps my feet would have hurt regardless and I just need to toughen up :) (or give up on hiking, not sure hehe).

We have exciting plans for the next few days... but we shall only talk of them once we successfully complete them :) No worries here!

Ciao!

4 comments:

Unknown Partner said...

Awesome views. What an adventure!

Unknown said...

Nice guys, you are still alive!

But you should put the photos in correct order ;)

How did you go from the Sella hut torwads Chabod? Through La Gran Serra and Colle Nevron? Or some other way, just curious? Then from Chabod you went to Emmanuelle and then to Pont? Pont is not that big ;). What are you planes for going back, the bus?

The normal route up to Gran Paradiso is F/F+ depending from which hut you start, still take care as the weather has been very hot! Early start and return is adviced.

PS. The trip you hiiked is much nicer in spring on skies ;)

Unknown said...

Hey guys, way to go! Emilie, that is a tough hike no matter the boots, I did it once and I will remember it forever. As for David, I bet that he would whine and complain if he was all by himself! He is probably just saving it all for the way back.

Emilie, how about this for an idea? Do you think you could walk on the grass and without boots for some of the stretches? It may of course end by getting you totally uncapable of walking, and I am not sure that David could manage to carry you all the way down. On the other hand, it may be your only chance to get closely acquainted to the stambecchi around there. By the way, did you see any camosci around there (chamois)? They are really pretty.

Changing topic completely, I'd like to know what are you doing for pictures, if you got a 50 Gigs photo card (if so, let me know where you got it!), if you keep deleting pictures, if you are using a film camera, or what ... In any case, I am glad you are showing some to us, they are great.

Have a wonderful time in the next part of this great trip. All the best

M.

Unknown said...

Hey guys -
yeah, the French do have attrocious styles - but you guys are looking like you've got it down pact (boot issues aside...) Inbetween emerg counsults and admissions, I'm dreaming through your photos... keep them coming:)
Miss xo